Here we are with volume 44 of the extensive netBloc compilation series that I first launched in 2007. Back then, the majority of the Creative Commons licensed music I found was via netlabels. Today, things are shifting.
Although netlabels still play a major roll, there’s an uptick in artists releasing their CC music independently via bandcamp. There are also well-known artists flirting with CC licensing. A few years ago, it was Saul Williams and Nine Inch Nails. Now, as this compilation can attest, Canadian MC, Shad along with fellow-Canadian Skratch Bastid, DJ Spooky and the great Public Enemy have each recently dropped CC licensed music online. It seems that awareness of this most important content licensing option is growing.
I know that there are some people who believe that it doesn’t matter whether or not something is CC licensed, when it’s released for free. They think that fans don’t care how the music’s licensed. That maybe so with some fans, but certainly not all. Also, even if some fans don’t currently care, the specificity of what CC licenses say fans can do with the music will increasingly become more important as the machinations of the mainstream music/movie industry lobby continue to get laws passed that further put a stranglehold on what one can do online. Like it or not, politicians are lining their pockets with industry money and have no problem throwing away the public’s rights in the process.
Creative Commons licenses are important in that they protect artists & listeners and they help foster much needed alternatives to the traditional and current online, industry sanctioned & monopolized promotional avenues. The more of us there are who embrace CC licensing, the more useful the licenses become. There definitely needs to be more radio broadcasts, podcasts and blogs dedicated to CC licensed music, so I call on you… if you have the wherewithal to make it happen… spread the word about CC music you love via a blog, a podcast or radio.
I want to send out a huge thank you to all artists and labels participating in this volume! It’s an honor to have you on board. I hope you all continue to release CC licensed music.
Of course, as always, thanks to YOU. Thank you for continuing to listen. Please spread the word about blocSonic, if you enjoy what we do. Remember… everything we release is cool to share! Always keep the music moving… share it… blog it… podcast it! If you’re in radio… support independent music and broadcast it!
- PDF (103 Pages)280 downloads
- 01 - Alaclair Ensemble - Montagnes russes (Serge Fiori) (4:08)
- 02 - Public Enemy - Get Up Stand Up (Featuring Brother Ali) (4:06)
- 03 - Shad + Skratch Bastid - Outta My Head (4:42)
- 04 - Belle - The Truth (3:12)
- 05 - Anitek - One Way Ticket (Featuring Tab & D Spliff) (2:50)
- 06 - Monk Turner - Jocose Jon (3:43)
- 07 - ZOE.LEELA - Jewel (3:11)
- 08 - Kirk Pearson - Pollinate (3:29)
- 09 - Grumpus - Banana Peppers (3:17)
- 10 - Network/R.M. Keller - Onoonanism (6:24)
- 11 - Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Coffin Hill (1:42)
- 12 - Wellington Sea Shanty Society - Great Open Sea (2:55)
- 13 - Jfrank - Bronze Heretic (4:27)
- 14 - DJ Spooky - Check Your Math (4:04)